EMMANUEL SCHIKANEDER / WOLFGANG AMADE MOZART
Notes on the Libretto
The text is transcribed from the original published libretto
(Ignaz Alberti, Wien, 1791), as reproduced in facsimile by
the Wiener Bibliophilen Gesellschaft in 1942.
The text, orthography, punctuation, abbreviations, and general layout
have been preserved to the extent possible. The character ??
has been rendered as "tz", and no distinction is made between the
characters ?? and ??, both rendered as "s"
There are numerous differences between the text of the published
libretto and the "standard" version of the work as set to music and
performed. The more significant variations are noted below.
Also included are Schikaneder's musical instructions (not necessarily
observed by Mozart), as in Monostatos' aria (II.7)
- I.1 (Introduction: stage instruction) in einem prächtigen
javonischen [sic] Jagdkleide. The original spelling is
interesting, because although it is usually rendered as japonischen
(Japanese), it could equally likely be read as javanischen (Javanese).
- I.2 (Aria Papageno): there is no 3rd stanza (likewise in the autograph
score); lines 3 and 12, the 3rd lines of each stanza, are in the 3rd
person rather than the 1st person (ist rather than bin)
- I.3, line 15 (stage instruction): seinen Scherz durch Geberden
instead of seinen Schmerz durch Geberden ausgedrückt
- I.15, line 5 (Tamino): Kleinen instead of Knaben
- I.17, before line 1: No echo by Monostatos of Nur geschwinde
- I.17, line 16 (Papageno, Pamina): not set
- I.17, lines 37-40 (Papageno, Pamina): not set
- I.19, lines 28-29: Choral echo lines not set
- II.1, line 1 (Sarastro): Göttin instead of Götter
- II.1, line 12: the musical number is identified as a Chorus rather
than an Aria with chorus
- II.5, line 25 (Quintet - Tamino): "verworfne" instead of "gemeine"
- II.8, line 14 (Königin): "Gewölber" instead of "Gemächer"
- II.8, line 26 (Aria - Königin): "Rache, Götter" instead of
- II.21, lines 31-32 (Terzett): Tamino joins Sarastro rather than Pamina
- II.26, line 3 (Finale): finstre Irrwahn instead of Aberglaube
- II.26, lines 11-16: set for all three boys
- II.28, line 9 (Tamino): the following line, Ich wage froh den kühnen
Lauf is not in the libretto, presumably a typographical error.
- II.28, lines 18-19 (Geharnischte): these two lines are clearly intended
to be sung by Tamino as well, though not so indicated. (The following two
lines were also of course set for the trio.)
- II.28, lines 42-45: sung by Pamina only, rather than both Pamina
and Tamino; dein Ton may thus refer to Tamino rather than the flute.
- II.29, lines 11-12: Herzenstäubchen and liebes Weibchen
rather than Herzensweibchen and liebes Täubchen
- II.29, line 20 (Papageno): schwarze Welt rather than
- II.29, lines 56-61 (Drei Knaben): not set
- II.29, line 82 (Papageno, Weib): Der Segen froher Ältern seyn
instead of Der Ältern Segen werden seyn
- II.29, lines 83-86 (Papageno, Weib): not set
Richard S. Bogart 2005
22 Oct 2005