Shanewis: Performance History
First performance: 23 Mar 1918, Metropolitan Opera, New York
- Shanewis : Sophie Braslau
- Mrs. J. Asher Everton : Kathleen Howard
- Amy Everton : Marie Sundelius
- Lionel Rhodes : Paul Althouse
- Philip Harjo : Thomas Chalmers
- conductor : Roberto Maranzoni
First performance in:
At the Denver performance of 1924, the title role was performed by soprano
Tsianina Redfeather Blackstone, who provided the semi-autobiographical story
of the opera, in her operatic debut.
- Colorado: 5 Dec 1924, Denver
- California: 24 Jun 1926, Los Angeles
Although given under the title Shanewis, the vocal score was published
under the title The Robin Woman (Shanewis).
Shanewis was performed eight times in two seasons at the Metropolitan
Opera. It was the first American opera to be presented there in more than
a single season.
Monday, 08-Dec-2003 21:45:00 PST